Saturday 23 October 2010

Foundation- Final Major Project

The Final Major Project (FMP) at the end of the Art Foundation Course lasts about 9 or 10 weeks, and as the name suggests, is supposed to be the main thing that everything you have learnt so far has built up to. It's supposed to be the thing that propels you onto the degree course of  your choice, but in reality the degree interviews are about halfway through the project, and your portfolio consists mostly of the work you did before.

For my FMP I chose to explore "Mistake photography in painting". By "mistake photography" I mean photos where things have been cut off, you have pressed the shutter by mistake, things are blurred or streaked or whatever else that means it's not the photo you intended to take. What I ended up looking at were photographs of car headlights taken on slow shutter speed, meaning that the lights were streaked across the photo, and trying to translate this into painting (I realise this is no longer "mistake" photography, but that was only a starting point after all!)

Here are some of the photos I took and the paintings I developed from them:









I did a lot more work after this, and sadly I don't have the pictures on this computer for me to upload. Next time I'm home from uni I'll try to retrieve them!

So that's all for now from my foundation course. I ended up getting a Merit and, more importantly, getting a place on the degree course I desperately wanted to go to :)



No comments:

Post a Comment