Tuesday 25 October 2011

Starting somewhere



Despite feeling miserable and uninspired now due to a nasty cough and cold, I feel like it's been a productive week in the studio. I had my last tutorial on 11th October, and when asked what I would like to get out of this first term of third year, I said I wanted to break out of my comfort zone. 



For me, "breaking out of my comfort zone" at the moment means allowing myself to paint in a looser, more intuitive way. I know that usually people have more of an issue bringing out their "formal" side, and I'm always being told by fellow students that they envy my patience and ability to work in such a systematic way. However, for me, working like this comes naturally, and it is the "abstract expressionist" side of me that is holding back! I don't want to get to the degree show without having made work that has challenged me and in some ways scared me to make. Even if I somehow managed to get a First without changing the way I work, I would be disappointed in myself for not pushing my abilities as a painter. 



I said this in more concise terms to my tutor, and we joked that next time we had a tutorial my space would be filled with big, energetic paintings. I'm pleased to say that this is on its way to coming true! I'm working on four small paintings and three larger ones, and though they're still in progress, I feel like I am making an effort to challenge myself. Readers of this blog might look at the pictures and think they are as controlled as ever, but I can feel the difference in the way I'm approaching them... and I have to start somewhere!


No comments:

Post a Comment